This is the name of a cove 5 km south of the Orange River.
Alluvial diamonds were discovered along this coast in 1925 and Alexander Bay became known for its mining activities. The largely self-sufficient village was named after Sir James Edward Alexander, who transported (by ox wagon) the copper ore he mined at Kodas, in the Richtersveld, to the Orange River.
From there, the ore was shipped in barges down the river to be exported from Alexander Bay.
Alexander Bay is the most northerly situated town. More than 75 species of waterbirds occur in the Orange River Estuary.