CARNARVON is a busy sheep farming community located 65km north of Loxton, 150km west of Britstown on the R384 and 135km east of Williston on the R63.
The town of Carnarvon lies to the south of the Karee mountains and was named in honour of the British colonial secretary Lord Carnarvon in 1874.
In the 1840′s a Rhenish missionary station serving the local Khoe tribe was established at Schietfontein on one of the traders route’s between the Cape and Botswana. A couple of kilometers to the east another station named Harmsfontein was founded in 1860 which slowly progressed into the village named Carnarvon in 1874.
- Corbelled houses – small domed roofed structures built of flat stones by the Trekboers between 1811 and 1815.
- Fort on the Carnarvon Koppie used from 1899 to 1902.
- Nature reserve.
- Tortoise reserve.
The above are but a few of many interesting attractions on offer.
Self-drive 4×4 and 4×2 tours on marked farm trails as well as Anglo-Boer WAR tours are also available.