30km – South of Cambell on the R385 and 107km South-West from Kimberley on the R357
Reverend Isaac Hughes founded the town in 1848 as a mission station on the farm called Backhouse. A group of Europeans from Griquatown signed an agreement in 1867 to establish a town. The town was named after General Sir Percy Douglas. He was the Lieutenant Govenor of the Cape Colony.
Douglas lies near the confluence of the Orange and the Vaal Rivers. The town is fast growing and surrounded by agriculture & stock farming ventures, fed by South Africa’s two greatest rivers. Today this area is well known for wheat, lucerne, potatoes, cotton, vegetables and fruit.
- Driekopseiland – rock engravings spread over a large area
- Douglas Wine Cellar – established in 1968
- Die Neus – a scenic spot 14km from town
- Fresh water fishing on the Vaal River and river rafting on the Orange river are very popular