LOXTON is a beautiful little town located 80km west of Victoria West and 63km south of Carnarvon on the R63, at the foot of the Uitspanberg.
In the year 1899 the farm Phezantefontein owned by A.E. Loxton was bought by the Dutch Reformed Church to serve the sheep farming community.
Loxton became a municipality in 1905 and today is home to about 300 households. Loxton is a wool producing center and also one of the largest garlic growing areas in the country.
A natural disaster struck in March 1961 when flash floods caused the dam wall to the east of the town to rupture. Many of the 100 year old buildings were severely damaged but thanks to restoration all is well and beautiful once more.
San Rock Art.
Corbelled houses in the area.
The main attraction for us is the town itself, boasting many trees and irrigation aqua-ducts providing fresh spring water from the dam to residents gardens. Truly an oasis in a harsh but pleasant environment.