This town is situated on the N7 – 300km from Cape Town.
A Dutch Reformed parish was established in 1850. At a meeting of male members, a local farmer called Petrus van Rhyn, offered to build a church – provided that each member pay a yearly fee for maintenance.
In 1881 the church council & community decided to change the name of the village from Troe-Troe to Vanrhynsdorp.
The first residential stands were sold in 1887 & municipal status was granted in 1913.
General JBM Hetzog occupied the town on behalf of the Boer Republic for a few months as well as General Jan Christiaan Smuts.
The succulent nursery in town which is the largest in the world
Old Goal 1895
Van Rhyn Museum – 1897
Victoria Smith Memorial Aviation History